Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is an evidence-based therapy model that, when using the skills of this model, has been proven effective in managing intense emotions, reducing anxiety and depression, reducing self-harm behaviors and suicidal thoughts, and improving healthy relationships and healthy communication.
Essentially, using these skills helps your teen
create a life worth living.
Ideal for teens who:
Struggle with anxiety and/or depression
Have a hard time identifying and/or sharing feelings
Engage in self-harm behaviors or have suicidal thoughts
Make impulsive decisions
Struggle making connections with friends and/or family
HOW WILL THIS WORKSHOP HELP YOUR TEEN?
THEY WILL LEARN...
- What mindfulness is and how to incorporate it into his/her life in a way that feels manageable
- How to use the skill of non-judgmental stance: how to practice being non-judgmental towards themselves, situations, and others in order to decrease emotional spirals
- how to tolerate distress: learn ways to manage difficult situations/crises in safe, healthy, and effective ways
- emotion regulation: what their emotions are, what they feel like in their bodies, and how to begin managing them (if we know the warning signs that emotions are going to spiral, we can stop them before they get to that place)
- how to build healthy relationships and use healthy communication
All in a safe and supportive environment that promotes healthy peer connection!
WHO: This workshop is perfect for teens who could benefit from learning skills of DBT and feeling connected to teens just like them
WHAT: A full-day workshop designed to give your teen a fun, informative, and skill-focused day over spring break! Your teen will also have the opportunity to work with FIVE of our Teen Team Therapists!
WHERE: The Center for Family Empowerment 602 Willow Street Jenkintown PA 19046
WHEN: Thursday April 18th from 9am - 4pm
INVESTMENT: $220 (includes lunch and all materials)
9-9:30 - Getting to Know Each Other!
9:30 - 10:30 - Mindfulness Module: Understanding States of Mind
10:30 - 11:30 - Mindfulness Module: Practicing being Non-Judgmental to decrease emotionality
11:30 - 11:45 - Break
11:45 - 12:45 - Distress Tolerance Module: How to Cope with Crises in a healthy & effective way
12:45 - 1:15 - Pizza Lunch*
1:15 - 2:15 - Emotional Regulation Module: Understanding & Managing Big Emotions
2:15 - 2:30 - Break
2:30 - 3:30 - Interpersonal Effectiveness Module: Building healthy relationships, improving communication, and practicing assertiveness
3:30 - 4:00 - Wrap Up
*please let us know if your teen has any allergies